I will preface this call-out post of disappointment in a big box company with the understanding that everyone makes mistakes and should have the opportunity to right those mistakes. This is a documentation of my experience today with the receipt of a very used and defective Oliso TG1100 Iron.
On January 12, 2016, I ordered the Orchid color Oliso TG1100 Smart Iron from JoAnn Online Fabrics on sale. I knew with their free shipping option it usually takes about a week to receive the order, which it did. My order arrived this week and I just opened the box this morning to find an unsealed box, a USED IRON AND BLACK MOLD AND WATER IN THE WATER RESEVOIR. Clearly this product is unacceptable as a new product order. Hey, mold would be unacceptable as a used ebay purchase in my view. I don't know if this was a return of product to JoAnn inventory or if it came from the Oliso factory in this condition. To me, it looks like a returned product that was put back into new inventory.
I immediately took photos and called the customer service phone number for "items that are damgaed or defective" which is not a special phone number, it is the general customer service phone number. So here is the process of a JoAnn defective item return:
- pack up the defective item and use return label provided in original shipping box.
- I was told that the return shipping takes ONE WEEK to get back to the JoAnn warehouse, including DEFECTIVE AND DAMAGED RETURNS. Again, not great service on damaged goods.
- Refund on DAMAGED item will then take an additional 7-10 business days for JoAnn to process. PLUS they were going to deduct SHIPPING from my REFUND. I specifically asked that they NOT deduct original shipping from my refund, which then the customer service agent said "OK". WHY do I need to ASK this? (also, I'm not sure if it indeed will happen)
- Now, I need to order ANOTHER iron and PAY AGAIN for the iron. Again, JoAnn, unacceptable service on defective orders. JoAnn should immediately expedite a new iron to be shipped to me in an expedited shipping time-frame of at least 3 business days. I understand not crediting the returned order, but don't charge me again AND make me wait another week for product.
- I asked for expedited shipping and the agent told me she was put a request in to which I then asked, "so, the request does not mean I will actually get expedited shipping?" She replied, "no, no guarantee on expedited shipping.
Yes, JoAnn is accepting return of the moldy iron, and yes, they honored the sale price for me to buy another iron. However, what has happened to true customer service in order to retain customers? The customer service agent was all business and offered no apology for the defective product, no accountability for their mistake or action to remedy that mistake with any sense of urgency. Going forward, I will not order anything other than batting and small notions from JoAnn online, if that.
Needless to say, this experience has been very disappointing and I am no longer excited to receive the Oliso TG1100 iron. I would not have even re-ordered the iron, but it is a necessity for my studio. I almost ordered the iron direct from the Oliso website and in hindsight, I kinda wished I did, but saving $49.99 won over. You pay for what you get - and that includes customer service.